Friday, March 13, 2009

The Saga Continues...

Well, Nicolas' fever stayed non existent all day yesterday. So, I thought that finally things were looking up. At 3:30 pm, I gave him another dose of the antibiotic before I put him down for a nap. After he took the dose all I had left to do before his nap was change his bum. When I did, I discovered a rash all over his chest and stomach. GREAT! Here is a picture of the rash in question:


So once I got him to bed I called Info Santé (a phone line service that has nurses available 24/7 to give advice or answer questions). I explained to the nurse what I had seen and what's been happening and she agreed that it sounded like an allergic reaction to the meds. So, I had to take Nicolas back in to see his pediatrician and discontinue the use of the meds. I made an appointment for 8:10 pm to see a pediatrician that works at the clinic where I take the boys.

We showed up 30 minutes before our appointment time and was only seen by the doctor at 9:10 pm! That is over an hour after our appointment time! At this point the boys were exhausted and it was long passed their bedtime. The doctor took a look at the rash and after much debate, agreed that it looked like a rash caused by an allergy. The outcome is that Nicolas MAY have an allergy to penicillin. But they will not know for sure until they can do an allergy test. YAY!

I asked him to check his ears to see how the infection looked. In one ear he saw nothing and the other ear he said that he couldn't tell because there was too much wax! WHAT??? Did he offer to clean it out to get a better look? NO! He just said that he thinks we should discontinue all the meds and see.... So, basically here I sit not knowing if Nicolas still has an ear infection and wondering if it will come back in a few days and we will have to start this process all over again.

I was too tired to argue with the doctor and I just wanted to get the boys home to bed. Let me tell you that the next time I see Dr. Katz (the boys' pediatrician) I will let him know what I think of that other doctor.

No comments: