Monday, June 1, 2009

Peanut allergy?

Well, the boys had peanut butter yesterday and Zachary broke out into another rash all over his face, neck, chest and back. The rash looked eerily similar to the one that was caused by the dog licking him on Saturday. I am almost 100% positive that we are dealing with an allergy to peanuts. He did not eat anything else yesterday that was new and it was the second time he had a reasonable amount of peanut butter.

I gave him some Benadryl and it seemed to help however, he was very itchy. He was up almost all night crying and scratching. He wouldn't sleep unless he was with me. I only had a chance to fall asleep at 4:15 this morning. He was awake for the day at 7:15 which gives me a total of 3 hours of sleep for the night.

Now the question is where to go from here... Do I make an appointment with their pediatrician to find out if he should be tested for it? Can they test them at this age? Should I be more closely monitoring his food intake? How likely is it that the reaction was more pronounced because of his reaction to the dog the day before? Can his eczema flare up more and become worse after exposure to an allergy? Could that have made it look worse than it was??

So many questions... I guess I will start by giving Kim (my cousin) a call. Her son has a peanut allergy and maybe she can point me in the right direction...

No comments: