While I was out with the boys today I was approached by many people complimenting me on my cute, well behaved boys. We were walking in the mall and the boys were helping me push their stroller. I was so impressed and happy with them because they stayed right by my side and never drifted off once. They knew that it meant immediate return in the stroller and they really wanted to walk. So, I let them... they were good and we were all happy.
One lady that approached me and started chatting with me asked if she could be blunt enough to ask if the boys were natural twins or fertility drug induced. That was not quite how she worded it, but that was what she was asking. As strange of a question as that is, I understand people's curiosity in the matter. Twins were once such a rare occurence and now, due to modern medicine, they are no longer. It may be a bit too personal of a question to be asked by a stranger but I am happy to answer. The gift of my little boys came from my maternal grandmother. She had two sets of twins in her 7 pregnancies, the first of which was a set of fraternal twin boys... my Uncle Ralph and Uncle Robert. It was the greatest gift she could have ever given me and I wish that she were here now to talk to and compare stories with. I would have loved to know what it was like for her to have twins back then...
I think those who have a problem answering that question are ones that do not have an answer that they feel comfortable with. I love talking about the great gift my grandmother gave me and what a remarkable women she was handling so many children, let alone two sets of twins! I am a proud mommy of twins and have no issues discussing my boys in any capacity...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is a sgrange question. I have myself wondered if some women got KU with RE help. I have even asked when I suspected (Usually them saying "we are blessed to have him, we weren't supposed to be able to get pregnant". But I've never thought twice about someone with twins.
Actually Lisa, FRATERNAL twins are sometimes caused by a mothers genetics (and other time flukes), IDENTICAL twins are simply flukes, no genetic pre-disposition at all. So you have luck and fate to thank for your boys, not your family...maybe next time! (and fraternal twins run in the mothers side of the family, the fathers family twin history have nothing to do with 'you' getting pregnant with twins, but your daughter, or grand-daughter maybe;) )
And the questions are odd, I agree, but it's nice that people are wiling to talk about it and ask!
Iiri, my boys are fraternal twins. Hence, why I say that they were a gift from my grandmother since she had two sets of fraternal twins. I know that even with genetics on my side, I am still very fortunate to have these two beautiful and healthy little men...
Oh, you have had them genetically tested then? I know we talked about it when you were pregnant..
Not genetically tested but they have a few differences that are pretty tell-tale signs that they are not identical. One of the main differences is their eye color and there are a few others. I would be shocked if they turned out to be identical...
Ok, fair enough, they're your kids, who am I to argue, LOL!
i consider my boys a wonderfrul gift, & i am one who HATES that question coming from strangers. why? bc it's simply none of their business. i am in no way uncomfortable with how we concieved our twins, i just think it's rude to ask some one who you don't know well about their medical history, no matter what the topic. call me old fashioned, but i think there is too little value placed on privacy today. i don't discuss my past surgeries with strangers, & i see no reason why the conception of my children should be any different.
That is an odd question to ask someone....
Post a Comment