Sunday, February 20, 2011

Big Boy Underwear and Potty Training

I decided this morning to really jump start the boys' potty training.  A friend of mine tried this 3 day potty training with her daughter and it seemed to work well.  I figured since they already know how and can sometimes tell me when they need to go, it might go well.

So, the gist of the training is to have them in a shirt and big boy underwear all day and watch.  You need to keep reminding them that if they need to go to tell you.  If they have an accident, you need to pick them up and bring them to the potty right away.   It is all about positive reinforcement.  The fact that they are in big boy underwear is to help you catch the messes and for them to feel it right away.

We started this morning and so far they have each wet 3 different pairs of underwear.  But the up side is that they also both told me twice that they needed to go before they peed!  For Zachary, it's been the last two times he's peed!  So, he's been dry for a couple of hours now (he peed a tiny bit as I was typing this...).

The only thing I am reluctant to try is to keep them in their big boy underwear at night.  I think right now that's asking for lots of trouble.  I think right now I want to be focused on getting them dry during the day.  I will probably put them in pull ups at night (even though this training is completely against that!).

Wish us luck!!

1 comment:

Colton's Mommy said...

Good luck. Colton has his off and on days. Saturday I think it was, I was ready to put him back in diapers. Yesterday he did better, but still pooped in his undies. He just can't seem to tell me quick enough on that one. He still doesn't really tell us either, it is more if us asking him about every hour. It is a LONG process for us. Hopefully for Nicolas and Zachary it will come quicker!!